Tuesday, September 27, 2005

On my needles ...

A draped neck evening top in a ladder yarn (bought dead cheap from Yarn Paradise UK on eBay) - here's a detail of how it knits up (just stocking stitch shown here)

You have to be a bit careful about forming stitches with this one, as it's very easy to catch only one of the holding threads, or miss stitches, but the finished effect is really nice, especially under artificial lighting, when the colours really shine... Think that if I manage to finish this, it'll probably be really good practice for the Sirdar Dune sitting in the stash ...!

Technical details for the yarn
Manufacturer is Ice Yarns (made in Turkey) -
Yarn length is approx120m per 50 gr, and content is nylon Knits up at about 16s x 20r to 4ins square on 6.5mm needles. I expect the finished top to use between 5 & 6 balls of yarn, and hooray hooray I've nearly finished it!!

2 Comments:

At 27 September, 2005 22:58, Blogger Uknitty said...

I've only ever seen this type of yarn knitted up in to scarves so I am really intrigued to see what your completed top looks like. I'll be checking back to see the progress. Welcome to the world of blogging !

 
At 28 September, 2005 09:47, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Thanks for the comments! - keep checking back, I'm aiming to have this off the needles by the end of the week, because I'm getting kind of tired of this now - I had to rip it back to the beginning following a serious laddering incident, and severe difficulty in re-picking up of stitches, so that I will have knitted it nearly twice over by the time I finish it. The laddering was a sort of blessing in disguise though, because I realised that I'd started it with too many stitches, so it had really come out far too wide. It's fairly loose knit anyway, thanks to the type of yarn it is, it's quite difficult to knit tight.

Took a quick look at your blog, love the dyed yarn, bee-yoo-tiful colours, some of my very favourite colours fall into that orange-rust-burgundy-purple, as you'll probably find when I finally sort out my FO's gallery. Also, couldn't agree more about the photography in this month's Knitting magazine - have just bought Maggie Righetti's books on Knitting, and she wrote quite a lot about photography in one of them, mainly about how magazines "cheat" whether designs are really good, or whether they're just nicely photographed, eg. the skirt, how long is it actually (why does the photo seem to concentrate on the jacket?!), the brown cardi that is photographed on almost the same shade of brown background, etc etc - this is turning into a RANT (sorry!)

Thanks again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home