Monday, October 03, 2005

New magazines ...

Found a copy of the new Womans Weekly Knitting & Stitching Special Issue in WHS at lunchtime, and when I got home, there was the final issue of my current subscription to Knitting magazine waiting for me.

I'd like to think that this was an embarrassment of riches, but I'm really not sure that it is ... and sadly (following an extremely quick perusal in the loo - the only place where I can read in peace!), I'm inclined to the view that I'm more likely to knit the stuff in the Womans Weekly mag, than I am to knit anything in the new Knitting.

Knitting magazine has recently undergone something of a metamorphosis, it's become very glossy and shiny, but the fashion-style photography is not useful when you're trying to work out what a garment actually is like (could you tell I've recently read one of Maggie Righetti's books?!) eg. dark sweaters on shadowy backgrounds, and not showing all the garment in the picture - and some of the items in this issue are just downright strange, not to mention being candidates for You knit what? , especially the full length "fur" coat (which I would expect to keep on s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g vertically till it's about a mile long) and the truly weird Nicky Epstein jacket with horrible dangly things round the bottom edge - some of the articles looked interesting though, which is certainly an improvement. The burning question is - Will I renew my subscription? The jury is still out on that one ...

The Womans Weekly special seemed to me to be more honest in it's approach, maybe it's just not trying quite so hard to be a fashion magazine - though that's not to say that there weren't fashionable things in it! The usual quota of exotic scarves, hats, baby clothes made an appearance, along with a fake ranch style "mink" stole, though for me the nicest items were the two great classics, a cabled slip-over and a cabled cardi. Also rather like the fluted hem skirt, but suspect that would seat horribly badly (especially on my bottom).

A thank-you to everyone who's looked at the blog so far, and especially to those who've left me comments regarding the photo gallery - glad to hear it's finally working ... I finished the ladder yarn top last night, so as soon as I can get some daylight to photograph it in - probably this weekend - I can add it to the Finished Creations gallery.

Sadly, I won't be doing much knitting over the next few weeks, as I have to revise for my exams which are starting to LURCH towards me, far too quickly for my liking. Roll on 5.30pm on 20th October (when the second one finishes) is all I can say - and then no more studying until February next year!

4 Comments:

At 05 October, 2005 23:32, Blogger Uknitty said...

I just picked up the WW Stitching special. Theres nothing I would knit for myself in it, but the denim baby outfit is adorable, and the shetland shawl just stunning. Are you thinking of making anything in particular from it?

 
At 06 October, 2005 11:03, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Good question! - might knit the little sleeveless v-neck slipover, though it's unlikely to be quite such a tastefully neutral colour if I do - generally they just don't suit me. I acquired some King Cole Merino DK in a glorious emerald green as part of an eBay purchase some time ago, the man selling the Bond machine with ribber threw in a huge bag of stash to go with it, most of it is not to my taste - either colourwise (lairy pink shades) or fibre content (rarely use 100% acrylic, except if it's a novelty yarn), so have plans to offload it at our local charity shop - but the King Cole stuff looks as though it would show off the stitch pattern rather well, and luckily I have approx the right amount (yay!) - mind you, I have quite a number of projects queuing up and jostling to be first, especially the crown jewels tea-cosy which I really need to get over & done with, unfortunately ...

Apart from that I love the shawl, but definitely don't have time, and I think my daughters might look cute in the mohair jumpers, also am thinking about giving my niece (who learnt to knit last year) some suitable yarn and materials to knit the jewelled scarf ...

 
At 17 October, 2005 18:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They had the white fur coat on display at Ally Pally (and in the Elle Fashion Show), and it was absolutely stunning. It moved beautifully and felt really gorgeous as well, but... I can't think when I'd ever wear something like that. The only time I might would be as a winter bride.

 
At 17 October, 2005 20:54, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Hi Penny!

I'm sure it really was stunning, and in fact I can see no reason why it wouldn't be - but ... having knitted quite a number of eyelash yarn scarves in the last year (and not on too big needles, usually only 4.5 - 5mm), the one thing I notice about them all is the tendency they have to become much longer and much thinner than their original knitted measurements, and that's only with 200 - 250 grams of the stuff. Haven't got my copy of the magazine to hand, but I would guess we're talking about 1500 - 2000 grams for the coat, and no matter how firmly I knitted it, I think it would do the same, hence my original comments. I'm all for stunning garments (really! - and I could see this either as an evening coat, or as you say, for a winter bride) but the only way I can see to make this sufficiently sturdy so it doesn't behave badly would probably be to suggest that it would be best to knit the coat on a machine at a firm tension, and "weave" the eyelash stuff similar to the floats on a fairisle, say float 3 or 4 stitches, catch 1, and stagger the rows, so you don't get a striped effect ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home