Sunday, January 29, 2006

Yoke-necked cardie finished, and future plans ...

My spare balls of Adriafil Globe arrived yesterday (all the way from Italy by surface mail) having only taken 10 days to get here!

Of course they're a different dye-lot, and if I'd been halfway through a sleeve or something, I would have been pretty unhappy. As it was, I only needed to do the neck and front edgings, so though in certain lights it's definitely different from the main body of the cardigan, the viscose yarns in the striping on the yoke help to distract the eye a bit, and overall I'm OK with the whole thing because at least it looks symmetrical. (And it's finished as far as I'm concerned - HAHAHAHA)

More trying was to get to the end of the bands, try it all on, and then discover that the cast-on edge at the bottom was too tight - cannot think how I managed this, but it definitely made my bum look far too big, or the cast-on edge too small - spent today unpicking the cast-on row, and reknitting the lower edge with upped stitches between the ribs and then casting it off again (on much larger needles).

So, to cut to the chase, here's the finished article:



and here's a detail of the yoke:


Now I'm waiting for some ggh Soft Kid to arrive from Angel Yarns for the Knitscene Tweedy Jacket by Leslie Scanlon - and despite the row on UKHK about this supplier recently, I have every faith in the yarn arriving soon. UKnitty suggested this stuff some time ago, and for some stupid reason I took this to be the same thickness as Rowan KSH, which I'd already tried and discounted as a possibility - happened to take a much closer look at the details recently, and it's twice the thickness (ie about four ply) so have decided to give it a go. Lord knows what I shall do with all the 4 ply yarns that haven't been suitable for this wretched jacket - guess I shall have to save them for the Stashalong blog, when it starts up in April ... maybe some lace knitting would be nice, and an awful lot nicer than knitting socks, 4 needles always make me feel like I'm wrestling with a porcupine ...!

And then there's Tubey from Knitty - have wanted to have a go at this for some time, and especially since I saw the one on Mary's blog - I certainly haven't got anything suitable in the stash, so must get around to some more stash enhancement soon!

3 Comments:

At 31 January, 2006 18:04, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The yoke-necked cardie is very pretty. I love the colours in it! Did you work it from the neck down? Well done for your sheer perseverance (redoing tight cast on), too!!

 
At 02 February, 2006 01:00, Blogger yarnivorous said...

Argh, too tight cast on on the cardi! But it came up ok!
Thanks for the boa pattern - I have so much stash I have to bust, and this looks like a good 'un for busting stash!

 
At 05 February, 2006 09:50, Blogger garnlek said...

What a beauty! I want to knit a similar one. You inspire me. Thanks for the comments to my new room. You say almost the same as my Swedish blogging friends. My children are grown up, so I can have this room I've dreamt of my whole life. I will soon be retired and can spend more time in it, just for more years to go in my new full professorship, which I did not think I wuld get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home