Sunday, January 22, 2006

Hissy fit!

Completed my own Steek Boa, using 2 balls Louisa Harding Fauve, 1 ball Louisa Harding Impressions, 2 balls Rowan Lurex Shimmer, 1 ball Rowan KSH, 1 ball Rowan Kid Classic, and 1 ball Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino - the colours used are all in the orange-dark coral-red-burgundy bit of the spectrum - rather like a volcano in full flow - but of course I cannot get the photo to look anything like it does in real life (so you'll just have to take my word for it).

As a final refinement to the design, I've found that backstitching the edge stitches straight down the middle (ie. through the 'V') works just fine, but for slipperier yarns, as some of these ones were, I tried slip stitching with a crochet hook from the purl side of the edge stitches instead - this is invisible from the front, and very neat on the back as well (you should be able to see my convent education coming out here ...). This photo shows the 'wrong' side of the scarf, and if you look carefully, you should just about be able to see the chains of the slip-stitching to the left of the rib stitches. I used a slightly smaller crochet hook for this (8mm) and that keeps it quite firm as well.

3 Comments:

At 22 January, 2006 20:56, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That does sound very luscious made up of all those yummy yarns. The colours look very nice in the photo but I can well imagine that they are much more heavenly in reality!

 
At 23 January, 2006 19:40, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Oh all right, I know it was expensive - this was just using my Christmas present vouchers from my sister (honest!)

 
At 26 January, 2006 09:38, Blogger Michelle said...

I love this. You have inspired me to 'go shopping' in my stash and make one of these immediately!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home