Monday, May 15, 2006

Round the twist ...

This pretty (and almost unphotographable) stuff is Louisa Harding 'Glisten' (93 yards to 50g, 97% nylon 3% polyester). Bought a couple of balls in Curtain Scene in Sevenoaks on Friday, it's quite expensive at nearly £8 a ball, but it has a nice weight to it when knitted up, and the little sparkles are very pretty, and for scarf knitting I don't mind buying more expensive stuff.

Here's what I made it into - a moebius scarf. I made up this pattern, but it's pretty similar to the one in the last Simply Knitting, just that I made it a bit larger (100 stitches cast on instead of 80), and I used the method where you knit several rows back and forth, before twisting and joining, then continued knitting for a lot more rounds on the doubled number of stitches. This leaves you a tiny seam in the middle of the strip, but isn't quite so hard on the hands ...


I'm now trying it in Sirdar Firefly, but given the nature of the yarn, I'm sticking to garter stitch only (and of course because it's circular, that's 1 row knit, 1 row purl). I think this design will work in any of the 'heavy' silky type yarns - funny how they feel heavier than a wool yarn of the same yardage to weight ratio, isn't it? - so I think that yarns like Sirdar Illusion would also be a good candidate for this. (Oooh look, there's some of that in the stash, thanks to the trip to Olympia in March - how convenient!)

2 Comments:

At 16 May, 2006 18:38, Blogger Rain said...

Your moebius is gorgeous and in such pretty yarn, I'm always awed by them, they're fab.

Rather you than me with the Firefly, it's pretty yarn but somewhat awkward to work with. I'm sure it will look gorgeous when done.

 
At 17 May, 2006 12:36, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The Glisten is so pretty and perfect for the moebius that you've made with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home