Sunday, March 26, 2006

Olympia

Went to Olympia on Friday afternoon - turned out that it was really a cross-stitch show, rather than anything else, but I've never been to any of the big shows before, so useful pactice for Ally Pally, if I ever get there -


I met - in real life, not blogland! - Yvonne (pictured above in her Olympic Yoga Wrap), Ruth, Kerrie, Mary & Claire and a number of other knitters. I demonstrated Loopas to lots of nice ladies at the Knit & Relax stand, while Yvonne was off having a coffee, did a bit of knitting and chatting (more chatting than knitting, actually), and spent (not too much!) money on a few bits and pieces at:

- Silkwood (a skein of some pretty hand-dyed 4-ply wool, and a bag of combed wool tops for dyeing and felting)





- Hipknits (a Kool-Aid dyeing kit), where I met Kerrie & Ruth





- Black Sheep (a number of balls of Sirday Illusion, which I got to try out on the Knit & Relax stand)





- and a lady selling Colinette (which I'm not usually very keen on, but one colourway in Giotto in a gorgeous red orange yellow sang out at me)




then I entered the green Steek Boa in the Simply Knitting scarf competition. And then back home, hiding my purchases between my armchair and the bookshelf, as I went (and judging by some of the conversations I had on Friday, I am not alone in this behaviour ...)

In answer to a question from The Crafty Otter, my loopy boa took me about 4 hours to make, but I think that this was because I used a large number of yarns from stash, so it was quite heavy to work with as the length increased - used as intended by Sirdar with some of their very bulky yarns, eg. Sirdar Wow!, the time would be cut considerably due to the lightness of the yarn in use. Also, talking to Mary & Yvonne on Friday, the reckoning is that a short boa (ie 1 ball of Sirdar Wow! and 1 of Sirdar Vegas, or similar, for a length of about 3 foot) could be completed in about an hour, and to judge from Yvonne's description of her lengthy 'stay' at Glasgow Airport (snowbound)the other week, she completed (and sold!) vast numbers of the things in a period of 9 hours ...!

Yesterday I had a last fling on eBay before Stashalong begins, and bought lots of gorgeous Filatura di Crosa mohair yarns (no - no idea what for, but they were an absolute bargain, and gorgeous colours to boot, and I'm sure they'll tell me what they want to be eventually - some of the yarn in my stash has spent 20 years making up it's mind though), and today I'm being good-ish and making lots of stitch-markers for possible sale on eBay, when I get my act together ...

6 Comments:

At 27 March, 2006 07:11, Blogger The Gadabouts said...

Hi Mary-Lou, you were very restrained with your purchases!

To answer your question on my blog, my pin came from Tatty Devine, it was a gift from someone who got fed up with me fastening things with a safety-pin!

 
At 27 March, 2006 12:15, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Mary-Lou - the Silkwood looks lovely.
What do you propose to knit with it?
bw
colin

 
At 27 March, 2006 19:05, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

It is lovely isn't it? - at the moment I have no real plans for it, but it was pretty in a restrained sort of way - might almost persuade John to wear a scarf in it, cos it's not too girly (for once) - the other thing to note is that although it's marked as 4-ply, (and apparently is 220 metres or so), it's definitely nearer in thickness to a light DK.

Thanks also Purl Pirate for the info on the pin, I've been looking everywhere for nice pins (because of all the scarves/wraps I seem to end up knitting), and although I keep seeing them in magazines, they seem quite difficult to source in real life

 
At 27 March, 2006 22:01, Blogger Unknown said...

I'd love a shop list for Muncih, Mary Lou!

 
At 28 March, 2006 22:40, Blogger Woolly Wormhead said...

Hey Mary-Lou - it was great to meet you too! Is it me,or where there more bloggers there this year?

Do I get extra brownie points for recognising you? ;)

 
At 29 March, 2006 13:58, Blogger Mary said...

Nice to meet you on Friday - it was right blogger meet up wasn't it? Love the Silkwood you chose - I think I had my eye on that one too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home