Sunday, May 21, 2006

A few small projects ....


I've spent some time this week experimenting further with moebius scarves. Holly's modelling the one in Sirdar Firefly on the left (100 stitches cast on on 6mm circs), and Emily has bagged the dark green tweedy one (72 stitches cast on, same size needles) with matching beret on the right (knitted in Wendy Aran with Wool) for herself. I'm not entirely happy with the version in firefly, the drape's OK, but it's not really heavy enough, maybe it should have been used doubled. I have yet to try it in Sirdar Illusion which I think will give the effect I want, and I think I may also try it in a novelty yarn - the Sirdar Frenzy from my Simply Knitting prize might be quite fun. One of the good things about these scarves is that they only use 50-100 grams of yarn each, and so they are ideal for stash-busting, as well as being quick enough to experiment with.

I've also managed to knit a beanie hat that James wasn't embarrassed to be seen in. He says it makes him look like Craig David, which I seriously doubt - possibly his colouring has something to do with it - but I decided not to argue with him (which is called "being a tactful mother"). Unfortunately the camera batteries picked that exact moment to die, so you'll have to wait for a photo to see for yourselves.

Some time ago, you might remember that I mentioned some yarn in my stash from the long since defunct Yarn Store (just off Carnaby Street). I've had this yarn for over 25 years (so it's one of the very oldest yarns in my possession), as far as I can remember, but I'm pleased to report that I have finally found out what it wants to be. I think I bought it originally with the idea of using in random stripes with black chenille on a sleeveless top for the boyfriend at that time - and before you all say "eeewwww!", you will have to remember that this was the early 80s, and I was probably thinking New Romantic thoughts ... have I ever mentioned that I used to be a Blitz Kid?. No matter, the top never happened, that boyfriend is long gone, and I still have the yarn - 3 skeins of it, and it's just about enough to make a felted 'booga' bag. I have to say that previously I've not really been able to see the point of felting - to me, it's a bit like cutting up new fabric to make patchwork - but this really is going to be the ideal yarn to do it in. It's pure wool, spun lopi style, and plied with a black thread binder with little gold lurex 'bullions' at intervals, and it's really far too harsh to wear either in a garment or scarf, also I saw Hazel's felted bags at Maidstone Knitters meeting last weekend - so I think I just have to have a go too. The yarn-striping is pooling on the main part of the bag, but it's doing it in quite an interesting diagonal lightning-like stripe across the back and front of the bag, so I'm not going to worry about it for the moment, and see if I can keep it going all the way up the bag (so far, it's spiralling interestingly up around the bag).

Tubey? - haven't done much with it this week, 2 circs magic loop is quite slow and irritating, although it works beautifully, as far as not getting a slight ladder where the needles change over is concerned (it's a bit like knitting with an octopus though). I think, however, that if I ever make this jumper again, I wouldn't bother with knitting the sleeves circular. I'd prefer to knit it flat, and do a mattress stitch seam instead.

Have found another terrific wool shop, thanks to Amanda, who mentioned the Wool Pen at Singleton on the UKHandknitters list some time ago. Very nice shop, good selection and range of yarns, and a really friendly lady running it. They're well worth checking out if you're in the Ashford area, and they also have a web-site. Bought a few yarns for experimenting with further (decided to make that day my Stashalong day off!), and photos of these to follow.

2 Comments:

At 22 May, 2006 12:42, Blogger Rain said...

I love the story of the orange yarn. I'm glad it didn't end up as an 80s horror.

The moebius look great. I like the look of the firefly and think it would look great stretched across the shoulders.

 
At 25 May, 2006 17:28, Blogger Lindsey said...

A Blitz kid?! Tell us more ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home