Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Blocking, and another moebius

Bag knitted, and cooked in the washing machine. As usual, I've had great trouble with colour reproduction, there is quite a dark red, a slightly paler (softer) red, and an ochre-ish orange. The gold bullions look like drips of molten metal all over it, and the spiralling I reported came out pretty well right to the end. Think it could have been more felted, but my washing machine was playing up and didn't want to do any of the really hot washes, so this is just on a normal 40 degree long wash, which seems to have worked reasonably well. I'm blocking it over a number of video cases (about 9 of them, which seems to be about the right fit).

So now I have to buy some plastic canvas for the back, front and bottom. Then I want some flashy-looking lining (one of those chinese-y looking brocades I think - it'll go with the rather chinese red colouring). Also some handles, and some eyelets - I quite like the idea of some of that silky looking heavy cord you get for posh upholstery and curtain tie-backs - and possibly some knob things to protect the bottom (don't know what they're really called, but I'll know them if I see them), and a jewelled button for the tab closure. So that'll be my shopping list next time I venture into Maidstone.

Meanwhile, a frenzied moebius scarf modelled by Emily (yes, she always looks that exhausted at 7.30 in the morning). This took 2 balls of Sirdar Frenzy, I cast on 85 stitches initially on 7mm needles (where the recommended needle is 8mm) and knitted till I ran out of yarn. The slightly smaller needle size gives a nice dense (but not too stiff) fabric, and though I think it's a little big on Emily, this gives a nice fit for a grown-up who actually wants to keep their neck warm in winter. Think this size would work well in any reasonably long-haired (1 inch or so) eyelash/fur yarn. It's also a nice quick knit, so lots of instant gratification! Must go and dig the Sirdar Illusion out of the loft, have manged to put this off so far, but really I keep on mentioning it, and it still hasn't happened ...

3 Comments:

At 23 May, 2006 12:29, Blogger Rain said...

Your bag looks great so far and I can't wait to see it finished. Your plans for it sound fantastic.

 
At 23 May, 2006 19:06, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I love the orange-gold yarn, it looks fab knitted up and felted. Your plans for finishing sound fab, I particularly like the idea of the curtain tieback cord for handles (must remember that!).

 
At 24 May, 2006 05:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bags looks great and I love the rest of the Plan you have for it. Can't wait to see. You may want to try here
http://www.u-handbag.com/index.php?main_page=define_main_page
for your bits and bobs or even just to find out what they are called:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home