Monday, October 24, 2005

Tagged (you're It!)

Ten years ago:
Was on maternity leave with my youngest child, Emily, born at home August 1995 (returned to work in Feb 1996).

Five years ago:
Still in the same job (have worked there since 1991), but had completed 2 OU courses in my spare time in basic mathematics, and aiming for a degree in Maths & Computing subjects. Had decided that I didn’t want to do the Chartered Insurance Institute exams especially, so the OU has been my alternate form of study (as my firm likes to encourage us to continue our education).


One year ago:
Same job as previous (‘nuff said – this is what I do, not who I am!). Gearing up for helping my middle child, Holly, pass her 11+ exam in Jan 2005, doing lots of practice papers, and explaining all the stuff that primary schools don’t teach, like algebra, and logic. Taking OU Exams in statistics and relational databases, and had just taken and passed an OU course in basic web design, with a web-site for a (sadly!) fictitious knitting group. Knitting scarves etc for Christmas presents.


Five yummy things:
Chocolate!
Bacon sandwiches (and the bread must be white ‘plastic’ bread, but no butter or margarine, and I absolutely hate sauce/ketchup)
Tapas – especially albondigas, chorizo & champiñones
Cheese – the smellier the better
Asparagus


Five songs I know by heart:
(but I know many more than five, and not just pop songs, either…!)
Kiss on my list
Every breath you take
Running in the family
Out of touch
Linden Lea


Five things I would do with a LOT of money:
Donate a fully-equipped plane, and the running costs, to ORBIS
Buy my mother a season ticket for Verona, or Milan.
Help my relatives
Buy a house with a tower, one of those victorian italianate villas
Buy a canal boat (though now I’ve seen that new Rick Stein series, it might have to be in France, rather than England!)


Five places I would love to escape to:
South west France
A Greek island
Munich
Prince Edward Island
A far pavilion of my very own, almost any mountain range would do …, and failing that, an island of my own would be pretty good (and it has to have a drawbridge)


Five things I would never wear:
Bootleg trousers
Anything cut to sit on the hips (I have a small waist, so why not use it?)
Don’t think there’s anything else I wouldn’t ever wear, so I’m going to make up for it on the TV shows instead …

Five Eight favourite TV-shows:
Currently enjoying “Love Soup” on BBC1 (an intelligent comedy, as opposed to sit-coms, which I hate)
”Star Trek” (the original 3 series)
“Moonlighting”
“The Preston Front”
“Roobarb & Custard”
“Jackanory” – I already loved books, but this gave me all sorts of books I might otherwise have missed out on
“Robinson Crusoe” – remember the dog dying?
“Das Boot”


Five things I enjoy doing:
Knitting
Reading
Playing computer games (addicted to strategy games, eg. Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, X-Com)
Puzzles – either Crossword or Sudoku – have heard it said that keeping your brain active helps prevent it degenerating in later life … watch this space!
Being out in the fresh air


Favourite toys:
My Denise Interchangeable needles
My digital camera
My mp3 player (but I want an iPod!)


Five people who get this meme:
and apologies to all five of you in advance! - especially if you've already been tagged, and I hadn't noticed it ...
Daisy
Colin
Uknitty
Susoolu
Sue

3 Comments:

At 24 October, 2005 16:59, Blogger susoolu said...

AARGH - blueadt already tagged me for this, and I still haven't done it! Probably, because I can't remember what I was up to 10 years ago (not for any exciting reads, just because I am deeply forgetful). It is on my to-do list, so at some point, the meme will happen.

You claimed you got out of Loop lightly - but it reads like a pretty long list to me.

Well done on exams. And good luck for the next set, in the dim and distant future.

 
At 24 October, 2005 17:20, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi mary-Lou - what does this tagging business mean?
Colin(Knitman)

 
At 25 October, 2005 10:44, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for doing the meme - I found your anawers really interesting and I think it's great that your firm encourages you all to be perpetual students!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home