Friday, June 16, 2006

fed up ...

Am condsidering moving this blog ... have been unable to post pictures* for quite a few days now, and I really don't think that's good enough. Am quite prepared to pay for the privilege of running a blog, so cost isn't a problem - what I do need, though, is some help/advice. Assuming I do move the blog, where should I get it hosted? - I quite like the look of Typepad, but are there any others I should consider? I am still on dial-up at the moment, though we are hoping to go over to broad-band as soon as Talk Talk gets it's act together, so that may be something I have to bear in mind as well. What I am most looking for is ease of use, and if it's possible to transfer over all my previous postings that would be nice too, and perhaps the chance to keep important things, eg free patterns, or other files attached as separate pages within the blog.

So come on you people, there must be some of you who've already experienced this frustration ...! - suggestions or help please!

* - to save any confusion, I don't upload photos from my computer, they are stored on Flickr here, and then I post the URL to Blogger ... sadly, this hasn't been working all week, and as far as I cna make out, I'm not the only one it's happening to

9 Comments:

At 16 June, 2006 12:01, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I've been considering the same thing for some time and, like you, was thinking along the lines of Typepad. Not sure about all the ins and outs, pros and cons, etc, so will be watching any comments you receive with interest.

 
At 16 June, 2006 12:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved from Blogger to Typepad after about 3 months of blogging and I've been very happy with Typepad. They provide easy instructions for moving all your posts over and uploading photos etc is very easy. We are on broadband so I don't know whether dial-up would make it slower but overall I would recommend making the change. The cost is billed in US dollars which is advantageous to us Brits with the exchange rate as well.

 
At 16 June, 2006 15:15, Blogger Spindlers2 said...

I use flickr - www.flickr.com/ - post my photos to there and then paste the link into my blog. Very simple, and so far, foolproof!

 
At 16 June, 2006 19:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave up on the lot of them and bought my own domain £40 a year not much conciderng I can do virtualy anthing I like with it

 
At 17 June, 2006 09:55, Blogger Rain said...

Wordpress is the other free one, but I'm not a fan of that one. I just upload pics from my computer with blogger and haven't had problems.

I do think it's worth paying for something like typepad as I think you can do more to it.

 
At 17 June, 2006 14:06, Blogger Woolly Wormhead said...

I too will be watching any advice you get. I thought about changing a while back, but then the thought of letting everyone know to change their links seemed like a nightmare, so stuck with blogger. Despite a few hiccups loading photos, it's been ok with me (touch wood) I load my photos directly into blogger, so not sure if that makes much difference...

 
At 17 June, 2006 23:41, Blogger Fred said...

Have you though about Yahoo Geocities at all?

 
At 18 June, 2006 00:07, Blogger NikolaAnne said...

IF you don't want to pay for hosting
http://wordpress.com/

IF you have your own domain and it does pHp and SQL, download Wordpress software from http://wordpress.org and set it up. (This is the Hint for Ruth...)

Your own domain gives you tonnes of flexibility... but I know it isn't everyones cup of tea yo maintain an entire site...

 
At 18 June, 2006 15:23, Blogger Daisy said...

I've been using Typepad to blog on the Trek Along With Me blog (have a 30 day free trial). So far I've liked it, it's been straightforward to use and nothing awful has happened! I'm thinking about moving my proper blog over as Blogger is driving me mad! Maybe you could sign up for the 30 days to see how it goes with dial-up?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home