Sunday, June 04, 2006

A busy week, and not much knitting ...

It's funny how you can dread some events in advance, and then when you get to them they turn out to be OK, and you wonder what all the fuss was about. This week I had to go into the office and clear my desk on Wednesday, and on Thursday I had my first appointment with an outplacement consultant.

In advance, I really didn't want to do either of them, but all I can say now is that I had a great day on Wednesday, catching up with almost all my colleagues, they took me out for lunch (which was really good fun), and we all parted on good terms with plans to meet up in the future (which I shall look forward to).

Thursday was even better - in advance, I was quite worried about meeting the consultant (I had visions of some 25 year old know-it-all - but of course the reality was entirely different!), but three hours later, I came away with a really great-looking short CV on one page (god, it makes me look good! - and I've never managed to whittle it down so much), lots of immediate suggestions of things that I need to do, and a plan of campaign for the other 4 or so sessions that we are going to do.

Had been to the Bead Shop in Covent Garden in the morning, spent loads of money on jump rings, findings, etc, for stitch markers, before going to the Outplacment session, and afterwards went on to Liberty's for the evening, to catch up with the Rowanettes. The Art Bar Cafe at Liberty's is soooooo civilised! - and the staff don't seem at all phased by having to deal with 20 or so knitters in their midst. Will definitely have to go more often ....

Friday was a busy day as I started to act on the list of things to do from Thursday. Spent Friday morning phoning as many contacts as I could to let them know I'm out in the jobs market (should make me the subject of much gossip!), but the main outcome is that I have an invitation to Norwich this coming week to go along to the conference that I would have been going to if I had still been working. As I had not un-booked my hotel (made many months ago now), I only had to adjust the dates for the booking slightly, and Friday afternoon went shopping with Holly, so I am now armed with a CV, business cards, and a few new clothes that fit the description "business casual" which is the dress code for this week (no, don't ask me what it means, please!). Just have to sort out my train tickets, and I'm there, feeling, and (I hope!) looking good.

Knitting news - not a lot done this week, though I've completed a few more moebius scarves. Got a look at Hazel's copies of Cat Bordhi's two books about moebius knitting last week, and these are definitely on my list of Books to Acquire asap.

2 Comments:

At 05 June, 2006 08:49, Blogger Rain said...

You certainly seem armed and ready for the conference. I hope something comes of it quickly for you.

 
At 05 June, 2006 12:08, Blogger Lindsey said...

You go get 'em. I bet you can be a 'wow' when you put your mind to it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home